It was a dreary Tuesday morning. I was sitting in the passenger seat of hubby’s car who was desperately trying to get us to work in the morning rush hour. Trapped in an endless line of cars on a Houston freeway, I randomly glanced down at my phone, and saw the screen light up. I had a new message notification from my Facebook page.
I opened the message, and found it was from Jocelyn Lewis, a young lady who is the creator of a beautiful new blog, called East Coast Westerners. She had contacted me to nominate me for the Liebster Award, an internet award specifically offered to new bloggers. Needless to say, I was very excited to accept. This was the very first recognition of any kind for my own blog, on which I had spent countless hours. All of a sudden, the morning rush hour didn’t seem so terrible, and I was instantaneously filled with positive and creative new ideas.
I would like to take a little time and thank Jocelyn Lewis for this nomination. It is a great honor, and it truly means a lot to me. I want to encourage you to check out her lovely blog East Coast Westerners, where she talks about her young family’s move from Idaho to South Carolina, and all the new experiences and adventures along the way.
Thank you Jocelyn! I truly appreciate this nomination!
My Favorite Blogs
As part of the Official Rules of the Liebster Award 2017 by The Global Aussie, I should talk a little bit about my favorite blogs. I am really excited to do that, since it was these blogs that inspired me to start writing about my own travel adventures. In no particular order, I would like to introduce you to:
- Nomad Revelations Travel Blog by Joao Leitao! This is an absolutely unbelievable travel blog about crazy adventures in unbelievable places by a man who truly lives his life. I often sit in front of his blog at night, and find myself scrolling, and clicking through page after page of amazing stories and photos from all over the world.
- Leave Your Daily Hell by Robert Schrader! This is another incredible blog about a man’s adventures around the world, and I love the name of his website. Wouldn’t we all love to leave our daily hell, and dedicate our lives to the people and things we truly love! Filled with beautiful photography and captivating stories, this is definitely a blog that inspires me as I keep walking this twisted path to blogging success.
Check them both out! When it comes to travel blogs, these two guys are truly some of the PROs out there!
10 Random Facts about Me
Another one of the fun rules for the Liebster Award for 2017 is to list 10 random facts about me. OK, here we go!
- I am originally from Bulgaria, a small country in Eastern Europe, but I currently live in Texas, USA.
- I am a professional musician, classical pianist, and I teach adults and kiddos how to play the piano.
- At one point in my life, I worked as an Intensive Care Heart Transplant Nurse. This was a difficult and stressful job, but it taught me so much about life and human nature.
- I love roller coasters, and I am always interested in learning about the latest world record breaking coasters. Oh, yes! I would ride them all if I could.
- I don’t like to swim in rivers and lakes, only in swimming pools and especially the ocean. This is an odd one, I know, and I can’t quite explain it.
- I learned to ski in five days, and even dared to try a black-diamond-rated slope (a really, really steep one). It wasn’t pretty, but I made it down in one piece.
- My hubby is a part-time pilot, and I enjoy flying with him here and there. No, I am not afraid to get in a tiny plane, and take off for an adventure.
- I can’t stay away from dark chocolate, but only if it is at least 70% cocoa.
- One of my most favorite athletes is Shaun White, “the Flying Tomato”, the amazingly awesome snowboarder/skateboarder.
- I am cold most of the time, so I am grateful that I live in a warm climate. I can’t believe I survived Chicago winters for 6 years!
My Liebster Award Nomination Questions
Have you ever visited a place just because you saw it in a book/series/animation/movie? What was that place?
I have not visited a place just because I saw it in a movie, series, or a book.
I have however been to locations that were featured in movies. One of my favorites was Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada, which was used as a setting in Total Recall, and Star Trek Generations.
There is one place I would love to visit because I saw it in my favorite childhood series Verano Azul (“Blue Summer”), and it is Nerja in Spain. Hopefully, someday soon I will accomplish that!
If you can take someone with you in your travels, who would it be?
I always love to travel with my husband and two kids, so I would LOVE to take all of them, please!
When do you find time to blog?
Frankly, I do a lot of content writing while in the bathroom. What can I say! This is pretty much the only place in the house where I can gather my thoughts, and not be interrupted by the kiddos. Otherwise, I use the evenings, after the kids go to bed.
What is the city in the USA you would most like to visit, and why?
Hmm, this is a hard question! I love many US cities, and they are all so different. If I have to pick one, perhaps it would be Honolulu, Hawaii. The main reason I would choose that is simply because I have never been there. I also LOVE the ocean, and palm trees!
If you could only take 1 more trip, where would you go?
Oh, NOOOO! Only one more trip! What a depressing thought! OK, OK, I got it! If I could take only 1 more trip, I would go on a trip around the world!
Which is your favorite holiday and why?
I love all the holidays that we get to travel, whether it is Thanksgiving, Christmas or Spring Break. If there is a trip coming up, and a chance for new adventures, I am thrilled!
If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?
Again, there are so many places I would LOVE to visit, and I write about many of them in my blog under the category dream trips. One place I definitely want to go to very soon is Thailand because of its nature, culture, and Thai food.
Mayonnaise or Miracle Whip?
I would say mayonnaise, and specifically avocado mayonnaise. It is delicious! One of our favorite easy dinners is to spread some avocado mayonnaise on a slice of bread, and put pieces of rotisserie chicken on top. Then, cut fresh tomatoes and cucumbers on the side. My kids can never get enough, and there is no cooking nor mess involved since I pick up the chicken already cooked at the store!
What is your favorite vacation you have taken – to where, and why is it so memorable?
Again, I can’t pick just one because I treasure the memories from so many places I have visited. Going to Istanbul in Turkey was a unique experience, but also seeing the Grand Canyon for the first time was incredible…
What is your favorite book?
I will admit, I have very little time to actually read books, but one of my favorites from my childhood is The Good Soldier Svejk. It is by the Czech author Jaroslav Hasek, and it is hilarious!
What is that one post made by you that you like the most, and why?
One of my favorite posts is Hiking Half Dome with Kids. I like it because it brought back the memories of a truly epic adventure, which we got to share with our kids. I had a lot of fun writing it, and organizing all the pictures from that unforgettable day.
…And My Nominees Are…
Nazneen from Adventures with Naz
Nazneen is a passionate traveler, who has spent most of her life in England but at the moment resides in the USA. She will take you along on her adventures exploring different cities and states, as well as delicious-looking foods in special restaurants!
The Traveling Tribe from A Traveling Tribe
The traveling tribe is a delightful family of 6 from Grand Rapids, Michigan. They love to travel around the world, and explore the beauty of our planet. You can follow them on their wonderful and sometimes crazy adventures, and become a part of their extended traveling tribe!
Karen from Post Cards from Nana
The Stone Family from Rollin With the Stones
Angelina from A Minor Quest
Questions for My Nominees
- Name the most beautiful beach you have ever visited. Why did you loved it so much?
- What was the most memorable road trip you took, and why?
- If you could go anywhere for a month, what would be your top choice, and why?
- What do you feel is the most extreme thing you have ever done?
- What in your opinion is the most beautiful thing in nature you have seen (a waterfall, a mountain…)? Why did you love it?
- Out of all the countries, you have visited, which one did you like the most?
- Would you rather explore the deep ocean or outer space?
- When you decide to take a trip to a unfamiliar place, do you plan out your itinerary in detail, or do you play it by ear?
- Is there a movie or series that you have seen that features a place you would LOVE to visit but haven’t yet?
- When you go to a foreign country, do you like to try as many of the local dishes as possible, or do you stick to more familiar foods?
- How much time per week on average would you say you spend on your blog?
Thank you so much for this opportunity, and happy blogging everyone!!!